- PRODUCT DETAILS
The Atlas 2 is an easy intermediate wing for beginning and leisure pilots who want a confidence-inspiring wing that still offers great XC possibilities.
The Atlas 2 aims to offer comfort in a wide range of conditions but with enough performance in climb and glide to keep a smile on your face.
- easy inflation and smooth take-off
- well-damped pitch control in strong conditions
- comfortable and reassuring handling with a well co-ordinated turn
- long and progressive brake travel for a wide safety margin
- useful ”thermal sniffing” ability
- improved real world performance in weak and strong conditions
- extended weight range (S and M sizes) for flying at higher wing loadings
During the development of the Atlas 2, one of the aspects the Gin R&D team worked on was optimising the 3D shaping and sail tension for increased performance. Chief designer Gin Seok Song explains:
“The Atlas 2 project enabled us to use the latest technology from our competition wings in a lower-aspect ratio design.
Optimising the 3D shaping and sail tension gave us a bit more performance, and also a better feeling in the air. The glider is more damped in pitch which means that you don’t lose energy when gliding in moving air. The Atlas 2 also has a tendency to sniff out thermals by turning towards the core. And then, once you’re inside a thermal, the low aspect ratio and inherent stability help you get the most out of every thermal core, even the more turbulent ones.
We also worked on making the wing as easy to launch as possible, especially in stronger winds. Take-offs are a critical moment of a flight, so it’s really important that the wing comes up progressively and smoothly and doesn’t demand too much from the pilot.
There are so many pilots who don’t fly hundreds of hours a year and who just want to reduce their exposure to risk without losing too much of the fun factor. For these pilots, we think the Atlas hits the sweet spot.”
Included with your glider
- TECHNICAL DETAILS
- Optimized airfoil with 2nd generation Equalized Pressure Technology (EPT) for stability and performance
- Low line consumption: 3 risers / 2 main lines spanwise
- Internal construction with well chosen crossports maintains even sail tension
- Nylon rods in top sail trailing edge help maintain the shape of the profile in turbulence, which means better performance
- Low friction rings on the brake lines provide smooth operation and prevent twisting and are easily replaceable
- Split ‘A’ risers for easy big ears
- Mini-ribs on the trailing edge improve handling and performance
- Efficient speed system with Ronstan pulleys
- Gathering (reefing) system on the trailing edge for smooth and well-defined handling
- Nylon rods are soft, shape-retaining and durable, but can be easily replaced if necessary
- TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
SIZE XXS XS S M L XL FLAT AREA 21.61m2 22.89m2 24.94m2 27.08m2 29.31m2 31.62m2 SPAN 10.61m 10.92m 11.40m 11.88m 12.36m 12.84m A.R 5.21 5.21 5.21 5.21 5.21 5.21 PROJECTED AREA 18.62m2 19.73m2 21.49m2 23.34m2 25.26m2 27.25m2 SPAN 8.47m 8.72m 9.11m 9.49m 9.87m 10.25m A.R 3.86 3.86 3.86 3.86 3.86 3.86 CELL NUMBER 47 47 47 47 47 47 CHORD 2.57m 2.65m 2.76m 2.88m 2.99m 3.11m GLIDER WEIGHT 4.5kg 4.8kg 5.1kg 5.4kg 5.8kg 6.2kg RECOMMENDED WEIGHT IN FLIGHT 55-75kg 65-85kg 75-95kg 85-105kg 95-116kg 105-125kg EXTENDED WEIGHT IN FLIGHT 75-100kg 85-110kg EN / LTF B B B B B B